Minnesota Sings begins the 5th exciting year of this amateur vocal competition and is seeking the top voice
from 100 cities in the great state of Minnesota to compete for cash and prizes and bring the title of
“Minnesota Sings Champion 2018″ back to their hometown!
PRIZES at the State level:
First Place Winner $5000 in CASH! The winner also receives $1000.00 for a local charity AND
$1000.00 more for their local sponsor AND a 6 hour private recording session with studio musicians
and a producer
Second Place Winner $1,000.00 in CASH! $750.00 for a local charity AND $750.00 more for their
local sponsor AND a 5 hour private recording session with studio musicians and a producer
Third Place Winner $500.00 in CASH! 500.00 for a local charity AND $500.00 more for their local
sponsor AND a 4 hour private recording session with studio musicians and a producer
More prizes up to Seventh place!
1st and 2nd Place Winner of the LOCAL contest will receive cash & prizes too!
$100.00 and a gig at the Blue Collar BBQ for First Place!
$50.00 for second place and more prizes to be announced!
Song & Music
Contestant must provide CD backing track to sing to or sing accapella. You may use a commercially produced
CD, or record your own. Your CD may include background singers and/or harmonies. Total length of your song
may not exceed 5 minutes. Lyrics must be memorized and may not contain any profanity.
Faribault competition is June 13 at 7 pm at Central Park.
Each competitor should come prepared with 2 songs; one for the first round of competition and a second
should there be the need for a ‘sing off’.
To be eligible for the Minnesota Sings Finals, contestants must:
1. Live, work or go to school in Faribault or the 55021 zip-code
2. Compete at the Faribault level competition on June 13, at 7 pm at Central Park Band Shell.
3. Contestant must be between the ages of 15 and 25 years of age ON September 29 in Woodbury MN,
(Contestants must not be younger than 15 or older than 25 on that date, regardless of their age when
they qualified at the city level).
4. Contestant must provide a CD of their backing music to participate in each level of competition. Total
length of song may not exceed 5 minutes. Contestants may also sing accapella. Your CD may include
background singers and or harmonies. Lyrics must not contain any profanity. The song and lyrics must
5. Only individual contestants are eligible, no multiple singers or additional instruments may be used.
6. If the city winner cannot compete at the Minnesota Sings Finals, for any reason, the city runner-up will
compete if all previous eligibility requirements are met.
7. The 1st and 2nd place winners of Minnesota Sings-Faribault must be available to attend the
Minnesota Sings Finals on Saturday September 29 and Sunday September 30th in Woodbury, MN
Vocalists will be judged based on the criteria listed below and will receive judge’s brief comments immediately
following their performance. All judges’ decisions are final.
1. Vocal Skills: Includes pitch, breath control, dynamics, phrasing, enunciation and tone.
2. Presentation Skills: Includes eye contact, body expression, facial expression, attire, and microphone
3. Audience Response: to Performance (Based on judge’s observation)
4. Judge’s Overall Impression: of your Performance: At discretion of judges
5. Choice of Material: Singer chose proper song to showcase their abilities